Τρίτη 6 Αυγούστου 2013

Dr. Sheldon Lee Cooper;An autistic person or another one of tv's psychopaths?

Greeting from My Self!Today as you you can see I will talk about one of my favourite characters on television,The Big Bang Theory's Dr. Sheldon Cooper (It's funny how I almost write Sherlock every time).
Now,for those who will ask...no,this show is not the sun and the moon for me but I am bored and Sheldon is a really fun character to discuss.

When I first started watching the show I was almost certain that Sheldon had autism,but the producers wouldn't confirm it.What changed my mind a bit was me getting pretty close with an actual autistic person,a friend and neigbor who knows he is being mentioned right now.Mainly,the symptoms of autism are stereotypy,compulsive behavior,sameness,ritualistic behavior,restricted behavior and self injury while sometimes pathological symptoms such as seizures, motor abnormalities, anxiety, sleep cycle disturbances, gastrointestinal problems, immune dysfunction and sensory disturbances also appear.From this short list of symptoms I can recognise many on my friend but on Sheldon I can see only three behavior problems (the compulsive behavior,the sameness and ritualistic behavior) and none pathological,a fact which leads me to the question;Are these three enough to diagnose autism?For this question my own personal opinion hardly matters since I am no doctor but I simply think not,just because like in science the more evidence,the better conlusion.


But if Sheldon is not autistic then what is wrong with him (for he is not normal for sure)?I am starting to believe that Dr. Cooper is a psychopath after all.The problem with psychopaths is that many people imagine them holding kitchen knives and terrorising cities buy the truth is that a psychopath is a person with a psychiatric disorder or more often with a number of them.Personality Disorders belong are considered to be psychiatric disorders and Sheldon seems to have more than one.Let's start with OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder) witch is characterised by orderliness,perfectionism,inflexibility and need of control.The next to follow is PPD (Paranoid Personality Disorder) known for having a hard time trusting others,just like Sheldon can't trust even his own flatmate when their flat is robbed.We also have the wierd BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) where the person experiences short spurts of moodiness,has a hard time calming down once upset,also has a polarized veiw of the world and sometimes angry outbursts follow.The last one and my personal favourite is the NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) which provides the person with the idea that he deserves a special treatment,with plenty of arrogance and haughtiness but also an extremely low self-esteem deep down inside (As I choose to express it,there is nothing you love and hate more in the entire world than your self.).


Psychopaths might have a bad ending indeed as they do sometimes get bored and therefore become unpredictabe but unless the producers decide to start shooting Criminal Minds or the better for me Hannibal (for which a report is coming soon) on the set of The Big Bang Theory,I don't think we should worry about Sheldon (and Sherlock is almost written again).


What do you think about Dr. Cooper?

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου